Consonantal segments in Russian

Glenn E. Thobe thobe at getunx.quake.com
Thu Mar 30 23:56:31 UTC 1995

Glenn Thobe asks whether I'm the one who posted the original query.  I
am not.  Nor do I recall who was.  As Prof. Gribble so aptly pointed out,
regardless of the pronunciation of the _shch_, either as a long,
palatalized fully-continuant sound, or as a short one, followed by the
_ch_ affricate, there are still five segments (timing slots, if you will).
I just noticed something:  The "canonical" pronunciation makes three
segments out of this "letter" if one counts the affricate as two--not
very likely in modern Russian.
--Loren (billings"princeton.edu)
Loren B.-

> I think it pertinent to point out that those instances in which a liquid
> (in all cases /r/ so far) is apparently syllabic are not really telling
> examples.  The only real non-syllable-peak cluster of five segments I've
> seen is Charles Gribble's (umershchvlju, was it? but this one has six;
> I'm afraid I mistakenly purged his contribution).  --L. Billings

Are you the one who posted this question originally?

The problem with the examples that were sent to the list is that
most weren't native Russian (e.g. sentjabr'skijj < lat.).

I propose boDRSTVovat', which is at least really Russian (but I guess
you consider the "r" to be too vocalic).  The word you attribute to
Gribble has only 4 consonants (in any of the phonetic, phonemic, morphemic,
or orthographic senses of the word consonant) clustered u-m-e-R-SHCH-V-L-ju
(I guess, shch is an ambiguous transliteration, I much prefer hh).

-Glenn Thobe <thobe at getunx.quake.com>