Volkov and the Wizard of OZ

David W. Mayberry MAYBERRY at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Nov 7 23:30:41 UTC 1995

Another interesting set of works with the same sort of genesis is the Russian
translation/reworking of A.A.Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories  (Vinni Pukh, of
course, in Russian.)  My wife, who is Russian, kept assuring me that Vinni was
an original Russian work, and when she saw the Disney film (whose artwork is
based upon the illustrations published in Milne's collections), she laughed at
how poorly the Americans had copied the Russian cartoon series, in which Vinni
looks quite different.  I cannot remember offhand who translated/rewrote the
Russian version, but the forward accompanying the publications I have seen also
speaks of the author's intent to write *po motivam Milna*.  Of course, it feels
like a word-for -word translation to me, although a very adept one.
David Mayberry
mayberry at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu