Volkov and the Wizard of OZ

James Gerhart genevra at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 8 02:23:34 UTC 1995

I do believe that all the book translations (Boris Zakhoder) make it
clear that Vinni Pukh is indeed a translation. But, I had the joy this
very day of watching a couple of episodes of Vinni pukh in its film
version for Russian children.  It is masterful, delightful, and something
else again, that is, another work of art that deserves its own rewards.
It seems reasonable to me both that credit may not have been accorded to
the original author (as it should have been), and that someone watching
the film may not have paid attention to the original author. Mind you,
it's also true that translations are sometimes superior to the original,
and finally it is patently true that original writers be given credit.
  Genevra Gerhart