Volkov and the Wizard of OZ -ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Anna Rakityanskaya rakitya at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 13 09:45:59 UTC 1995

>On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Anna Rakityanskaya wrote:
>
>> I would like to testify on behalf of Russian readers of "Volshebnik
>> Izumrudnogo goroda", its sequels, "Vinni-Pukh" and "Zolotoi kliuchik, ili
>> prikliucheniia Buratino". All editions of these books in the USSR INCLUDED
>> REFERENCES TO THE ORIGINAL WORKS.
>
>Certainly, not all editions. Those that I saw did not have any references.

I would like to join Barry Scherr and ask you to identify those editions.

>> I agree that "Volshebnik .." is much closer to "Wizard .. " than "Zolotoi
>> kliuchik" to "Pinocchio". This by the way may be the reason why the very
>> title "Wizard of Oz" was not known in Russia, while "Pinocchio" was fairly
>> well known.
>
>"Wizard of Oz" was published in Russia as well.  It was in English, and
>published (it seems) by Progress.  So, those there who read English knew it.
>"Pinocchio" was known, probably, because of an Italian movie that was on
>there in the 70s.

I just would like to add that my knowledge of "Pinocchio" came from the
Russian language book and from the wonderful radio broadcast. (However I
missed the movie.) Too bad "Wizard of Ozz" wasn't available to the general
Russian-reading public.

Anna Rakityanskaya
University of Texas, Austin
Internet: RAKITYA at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU