servera'

James West jdwest at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 13 23:29:43 UTC 1995

I've been intrigued by this, too - I suppose it's part of the
assimilation pattern for loanwords of this type in Russian, quite a few
of which have, or have had, a stressed-a plural, in many cases where the
word end in -er (e.g. "ofitser" is sometimes given the plural "ofitsera" by
less educated speakers). Linguists - some comment?

                                                     James West