A few questions

Nancy Novak nen at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:22:37 UTC 1995

Hello Seelangers,

I have 3 related requests that I hope someone can help me with.  First,
does anyone know of any compilation of Russian poslovitsy, possibly
including skorogovor'ki, with English translations/equivalents?  I'm
looking for something somewhat similar to Bartlett's Famous Quotations,
but where you could just look up an English saying and find the Russian
equivalent or vice versa.  Or even just a listing of poslovitsy with
English translations that someone's compiled themselves would be a big help.

Second, what is a good translation for "Pospeshish' lyudej nasmeshish."?
I've come up with a few -- Hold your horses, keep your shirt on, haste
makes waste -- but they don't seem quite right.

Third, what would be a good Russian poslovitsa for having to wait while
travelling because of delays, bureaucracy, etc. -- perhaps one which
shows acceptance or resignation to waiting as part of travel?  I have a
feeling that I've heard one like this, but haven't been able to remember,
and neither could the Russian friend I asked.  The only one I could think
of was "V gostyakh khorosho, a dome luchshe" -- which is definitely not it.