Teaching Languages

aaron vaughn aaron_vaughn at byu.edu
Wed Nov 15 04:33:00 UTC 1995

At 02:49 PM 11/14/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Could someone please give me some info on what the difference in language
>is between Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian(Muslim).  I am doing some
>research and I am having some trouble finding information.

        I lived in Slovenia for almost 2 years, and was able to speak with
Croatians, Serbians, and Bosnian(Muslim) refugees. My knowlege of
Serbo-Croatian is limited, but the only major difference that I noticed was
that Croatians added an j or ij to some words. This seems to be fairly
consistant.
        eg. pesem - pjesem
            reka  - rijeka
        Generaly, the Bosnians that I talked to spoke like Croatians, but
that could be because of the particular village they came from. Also the
word for bread was different-Serbians=hleb, Croatians=kruh. Perhaps these
differences would be considered dialect. I will talk to some Croatian
friends this week and post again.

        Aaron Vaughn
        aaron_vaughn at byu.edu