Uktr and Pol queries: summary

Loren A. Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Wed Nov 15 16:50:16 UTC 1995

Dear colleagues:

Two days ago I sent out several queries about Ukr and Pol.  Let me summarize
what I found out:

First, let me thank those who responded (so far):  K. Rondestvedt, O. Swan,
F. Gladney, K. Goeringer, T. Armstrong, J. Ingersol-Casey, A. Nedashkivska-
Adams, R. Koropeckyj, U. Doleschal, R. Orr, A. Sosnowski, K. Dziwirek, W.
Browne, M. Flier and R. Rothstein.

1.  Ukr _lysta_:  Apparently Ukr (and Pol) have some nouns which are
semantically inanimate but grammatically animate.  That is, they choose the
morphological GEN to express the syntactic ACC.

2.  _Novoe v zarubezhnoi lingvistike_ (1985) v. 15:  Intro article by
Artiunova & Paducheva.  This article was discussed in connection with Ukr.

3.  Subjunctive _by_ in Pol:  Some respondents inform me that _by_ is
essentially a second-position clitic in Pol.  Kat Dziwirek thinks that _by_
is not necessarily in second position, offering the following example:

   Bo      o    tym s    nim tam        by.s    porozmawial
   because about it with him there wouldst.thou talk
   'because you would talk about it there with him'

I found another such example in the following work, pg. 130:

   Jodl/owski, S. & W. Taszycki (1968)  _Sl/ownik ortograficzny i prawil/a
       pisowni polskiej._  Wrocl/aw:  Ossolineum.  7th ed.

She also suggests the recent article (which I have yet to consult personally):

   "Clitic auxiliaries and incorporation in Polish" _Natural language and
       linguistic theory_ 1994 by R. Borsley and M. Rivero.

Note also that I misspelled the example I used in the query.  It should be

   Bo by drukarza zabito.

4.  Ukr _pivtora metra_:  This is just like Ru _poltora metra_ (in the
relevant respects), but unlike the numbers 'two' through 'four' in Ukr, which
assign NOM.PL (not GEN.SG) to the noun they quantify, with certain special
stess.  Apparently, _pivtora_ 'one and a half' acts the same as the fraction
numerals and distinct from the so-called paucal numerals _dvi_/_dva_, _try_,
and _chotyry_ in this respect.  Oscar Swan tells me that Pol acts the same
way.  Alla Dedashkivska-Adams writes that _pivtora_ behaves the same as _2,5_
(as in _2,5 hektara_, the pronunciation of which I haven't determine yet) and
other combinations of _integer decimal integer (e.g., _3,8 kilometra_ but _try
kilometry_).  Most insightful is the following factoid (also from Alla):

     "According to _Antysurzhik_ [sic.], Serbens'ka, O. (ed.) L'viv, 1994
     _pivtora metry_ is "hruba pomylka" ['gross error'/LAB] (p. 105)."

I haven't consulted this sourse personally either, but it seems that some
people do say it.  Hence, there seems to be a dilemma between treating
_pivtora_ as fraction or the same as the paucal integers (2, 3, 4).

5.  Finally, _SFPiS_ stands for _Studia z filologii polskiej i slovan'skiej_.

I really DID try to answer these questions by looking them up the first time,
Karen, I just ran into a few _tupiki_.  I fully agree that many extremely
preliminary questions should be answered with a little initial investigation
of one's own.

These questions, by the way, are for the annotated bibliography that Joan
Maling (Brandeis) and I are preparing for _Journal of Slavic linguistics_ on
the so-called -no/-to construction in Pol, Ukr, and neighboring languages.
The first half (A-M) came out last week in JSL 3:1, pp. 177-217; the second
half (M-Z) should be out by the end of the year (keep your eye out for George
Fowler and a big box of fresh green journals!).

Thanks again to all who helped.  --Loren (billings at mailer.fsu.edu)