WWW resource proposal: thoughts

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Nov 15 18:38:29 UTC 1995

George Fowler's AATSEEL Web Site proposal is an excellent one.  My
colleagues and I have been discussing for some time our desire to see a
clearing house for certain kinds of information, particularly information
about jobs, Slavic programs, news of the field, etc.  I have just three
concerns.  First, regarding point #5 in George's draft proposal, why only
Russian special programs?  How about the other Slavic languages?  Second, I
think it is important that this site not duplicate what is already out
there, namely REES, which already offers substantial info on Cyrillic
computing, for example. (The beauty of html, of course, is that you only
have to include the LINK to REES to include ALL of REES!)   This brings me
to my third and final point:  I wonder if George's wishlist isn't a bit
over-ambitious for a start-up page.  I'm no expert in the area of Web Page
Maintenance, but that sounds like an awful lot of stuff for one person to be
tracking.  Perhaps, initially, an AATSEEL Web Page should be limited to
filling some specific gaps we all have noticed in Web resources, addressing
areas of particular concern to AATSEEL as an organization, items such as
employment and educational opportunities.  Such issues have come up on
SEELANGS, of course, indicating a general demand for such site.  I'm not
saying that such a site could not be expanded to include tons of fun stuff,
just that we ought to prioritize our wishlist according to demand and
AATSEEL's specific mission.
*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *