CU-SeeMe contacts

Stephan David dstephan at brynmawr.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:20:11 UTC 1995

I thought about doing this myself.  My sense though is that they simply don't
 have the equipment over there.  A shame, but they are catching up.  Also, as
 you're probably aware, a CUSeeMe connection is *usually* of poor quality.  I
 have been wondering if MCI or Sprint might be willing to work out some
 arrangement with the FL community to use their technology (which is already
 being used in the business sector, but is *very expensive*).

On the connection side, it's more likely that you could get a connection with,
 say, Athol Yates in Australia or Mr. Tsuji in Japan, or certainly Russian
 departments in the U.S.  You'll probably connect to a reflector site in the US,
 such as Georgia Tech or Univ. of WI (?).  I think U of Hawaii also has a site.
 While this probably won't net (no pun intended) you any native speakers, it
 certainly will allow you conversational partners.  Recently, Haverford College
 did a hookup for Japanese which was very successful.  The Japan-side had a lot
 of difficulty, but there were others around the world who got better reception.
  If you have any specific questions, contact Virginia Lewis
 (vlewis at haverford.edu).  She is the Language Lab Coordinator and is very
 knowledgeable about such things.  I don't know whether she knows of any sites
 in Russia, but again, you'll probably hook up to a reflector in the U.S.
 anyway.  Hope this helps.

David Stephan
Bryn Mawr College