XII Int'l Congress of Slavists

frank y gladney GLADNEY at UIUCVMD.BITNET
Wed Nov 22 14:35:46 UTC 1995

I received a mailing from the American Committee of Slavists yesterday
regarding the 12th International Congress of Slavists to be held in Cracow,
Poland, in September 1998. My attention was caught by the second of two
eligibility requirements, which is: "Regular (not occasional) academic
employment in an American college or university".  Does anyone else find this
odd?  If I have a Ph.D. in Slavic (the first eligibility requirement) but
can't find a teaching position--or have retired from one?--I can't be
considered for membership in the American delegation?
Frank Y. Gladney (gladney at uiuc.edu)