XII Int'l Congress of Slavists

Denis Crnkovic cronk at gac.edu
Wed Nov 22 16:20:28 UTC 1995

Frank Gladney wrote

I received a mailing from the American Committee of Slavists yesterday
regarding the 12th International Congress of Slavists to be held in Cracow,
Poland, in September 1998. My attention was caught by the second of two
eligibility requirements, which is: "Regular (not occasional) academic
employment in an American college or university".  Does anyone else find this
odd?  If I have a Ph.D. in Slavic (the first eligibility requirement) but
can't find a teaching position--or have retired from one?--I can't be
considered for membership in the American delegation?

I find the restriction, if it is so, quite distrubing. Would one turn away
famous authors, for example,  because they do not hold "regular" academic
positions? My first reaction is to suggest a revision of the
requirements...

Denis

Denis Crnkovic'
Russian Language and Area Studies