XII Int'l Congress of Slavists

Olga Yokoyama oyokoyam at HUSC.BITNET
Wed Nov 22 17:27:30 UTC 1995

It was pointed out to me, too,  recently that ICS is quite restrictive
in  its eligibility requirements. I strongly support the proposal to
revise the requirements. The ICS should not exclude not only emeriti, but
also younger active Slavists who may be free-lance in this time of
difficulties. Advanced graduate students should also have some way to be
considered, since the once-in5-yrs congress misses many young people.
Graduate students, as far as I know, are not excluded either from the
Intern'l congress of linguistis or from the Int'l Pragmatics Congress.
Isn't it time to consider papers proposals based on their merit rather
than on the CV of the scholar? Perhaps blind referreeing is the solution
(this would be difficult for an annual conference like AATSEEL, but for
something that is planned years ahead, like ICS, there should be no
problem with time.