What to do with at-risk students

Barbara Mozdzierz mozdzier at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Thu Nov 23 21:04:23 UTC 1995

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to you for some input in a current project of mine on
developing a dept. policy on how to deal with weak students in our
programs.

I have found that this issue is of heightened importance as we are
struggling with decreasing student enrollments in our classes.

I am seeking info on any system / regulation / "well-working trick" to
which you resort when faced with weak (I mean, very weak) language learners
which threaten to compromise the overall standard of the course.  Do you
promote at-risk students (e.g. w/ a sem. grade of C or below)?  Do you
council them against moving on to the next highest level?  Does your
univ. sponsor a tutor program?  If so, what are the criteria?
Can we afford to let at-risk students go, if we deem such a step to be
the best for the individual, the given class and the program as a whole?

I would appreciate any thoughts, experience ... you might have.