What to do with at-risk students

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Fri Nov 24 22:24:58 UTC 1995

I think what you're addressing is the same situation that MANY high
school teachers are dealing with these days--an influx of
"non-traditional" language learners in the classroom, ranging from the
less-motivated to the special education student to others for whatever
reason.  It's a tough question.

In my humble opinion, I like languages to be open to everyone--I'm not an
elitist when it comes to the FL classroom.  It is difficult to deal
w/students who are not the cream of the crop, but I think it's more and
more becoming a reality.  At the college level I think it is even more so
because there are many more people in college these days than ever before
in history, and it's simply because "college" is the perceived answer to
getting a job these days.  True or not (and frankly, I think not) there
are more kids going into college now who, 20 years ago, would never have
considered it.  I think it's our responsibility as educators to adapt
with the times.  Offer students help.  Direct them to tutoring services.
Challenge them to keep up w/the work.  I would only dissuade someone from
taking a course if they came out and told me that they don't want to be
there.  Suggest that they consult the study-skills center, if the
institution has one.  Perhaps they can help w/suggesting alternative
study habits that the student had never thought of.

This is my 2 cents worth.  I'm curious what others will say....

Devin

Devin P. Browne                                   Clairton Education Center
Foreign Language Teacher                                 501 Waddell Avenue
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu                                      Clairton, PA  15025
                                                             (412) 233-9200