East-West Exchange

David Powelstock d-powelstock at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 27 14:29:47 UTC 1995

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Exchange business began
breeding classic deposit rip-offs.  Although, as far as I know, there is no
specific organization that monitors such study-abroad programs, it probably
behooves this individual to call the Florida Better Business Bureau, who may
have a file on the operation.  S/He can get that number through her/his
local BBB.  Generally, it is best to call the BBB BEFORE you send anyone any
money.  At this point, they will be able to refer you to the proper agency,
who MIGHT be able to do something you get your money back.  In this case, it
will probably be the Post Office, since it sounds like mail fraud.

The best way to check out a program before you send any money is to ask for
names and numbers of references, i.e. people who have used the program.
This is always a good idea, since it also can give you information about how
good an experience you can expect on the trip.  It is much easier to cash
your check than it is to provide a valuable study-abroad experience.  The
watchword is, "Caveat emptor!"

Best,
David

At 10:15 PM 11/26/95 -0800, you wrote:
>Greetings, SEELANGERs.
>
>Our graduate assistant has asked me to ask the greater Slavic community if
>anyone has any information or has had any dealings with a study-abroad
>organization called East-West Exchange.  I am including the information we
>got from someone who is concerned this organization has made off with a
>deposit s/he sent them:
>
>>>Dear Friends,
>>>I am a Russian teacher certification student at the University of
>>>Colorado at Boulder.  I received information on the following
>>>exchange program from our Russian department:
>>>     East-West Exchange
>>>     PO BOX 12262
>>>     Gainesville FL  32604
>>>     rep: Robert Mann
>>>After sending a $400 deposit, visa application, and personal info to
>>>this program four months ago, and having heard nothing since, I
>>>called to see what was up.  The number is to some woman in her house
>>>(904-373-1098).
>
>>>Needless to say, I'm beginning to feel I have been duped.  The only
>>>communication I have received from them was the initial application,
>>>postmarked Oakland CA, 28 Feb 94.
>
>>>Does anybody know anything about this program or Mann individual?  Is
>>>there a change of address I am not aware of?
>>>I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>
>He apparently contacted us (Berkeley) because we are close to Oakland, and
>our undergrad assistant said the name of this organization sounded familiar
>to her.
>
>If you have any info on this outfit, please e-mail me with it.  Whatever I
>find out, assuming it's of importance one way or the other, I will post a
>summary to the list -- whether it's that there was a simple
>misunderstanding, or that others have had similar problems with this place.
>(I am not posting personal info on the person who wrote to us since I
>don't have permission to do so -- but I will forward the info to our grad
>assistant, who will forward it on to him.)
>
>Thanks,
>Keith
>
>Keith Goeringer
>UC Berkeley
>Slavic Languages & Literatures
>keg at violet.berkeley.edu

*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *