Number of Americans working in Russia

Olga Kagan OKAGAN at humnet.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 27 18:52:10 UTC 1995

This is the information I got from a former student of mine, Jason
Horowitz, who is  a consul (for economics) at the American Embassy in
Moscow. Olga Kagan

"As for the number of Moscow expatriates,  I have heard numbers like
40,000 english-speakers, though I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the
numbers.  I will ask around this week and report if I hear anything
different.  I continue to believe that mastery of a foreign language,
along with some regional expertise, is one of the most valuable skills
one can pick up as an undergraduate.  I'm not sure that it matters that
much whether the language is Spanish, Chinese, Japanese or Polish -- but
the language definitely makes a person employable."