Outcomes Assessment

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 16 19:25:11 UTC 1995

I think this question is of interest to many of us, so let's keep it on
list. At SUNY Buffalo, the first time we sent students to Tver I was
anxious to see their progress so I got money from my chair (about $120)
to have them take the Educ. Testing Service Russian proficiency exam.
I was satisfied with the results (although I should point out that they
do not score the writing and speaking parts--you have to do it yourself),
and I have not used that test since because of the cost. I should also
point out that there is a separate test for advanced students, so some
students who make a lot of progress might not have that progress show
on the other test. Since then no one has asked me for any formal
measures. This year for the first time we sent a group of students for
2 months in the summer who had two years of Russian previously and they
also made a lot of progress, especially in comprehension and speaking.
Emily Tall SUNY/Buffalo