AATSEEL Chicago Program Update & the Web

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Oct 24 03:27:13 UTC 1995

I'm sure that not all computer lab folk are as user-friendly as we would
like, but in defense of David Birnbaum's efforts to use the Web to
distribute information about the upcoming AATSEEL conference I'd like to say
the following.  Previously the updates of the conference schedule were few
(May [?] and December [?] issues of AATSEEL newsletter) and far between.
The schedule is published no less frequently in hard copy than before.  The
publication of the more frequent updates on the Web adds a great deal and
subtracts nothing from the content and timeliness of conference information
as available in the past.  I have sympathy for those for whom Web access is
not yet easy or automatic.  Nevertheless, David has done nothing to make any
information LESS available.  On the contrary, it seems as if he has been
working very hard to develop the additional lines of communication that we
will all take for granted within, probably, a year, if not sooner.

As for getting on the Web, there is certainly no need to pay a consultant.
One can pick up a software package for Web-Browsing for under US $ 50.
Let's not let understandable frustration dimish either the benefits of the
Web or the voluntary efforts of people like David.

*       David Powelstock                (O)   312-702-0035              *
*       Slavic Languages & Literatures  (Dpt) 312-702-8033 (msg)        *
*       University of Chicago           (H)   312-324-5842 (msg)        *
*       1130 E. 59th Street                                     *
*       Chicago, IL  60637                                      *