Nachalo

Dan Bayer DBAYER at bernard.PITZER.EDU
Tue Apr 2 18:16:57 UTC 1996

  We have received examination copies of McGraw Hill's first year Russian
text _Nachalo_  (Lubensky, Ervin, and Jarvis)  and are again thinking about
adopting a new textbook.  We switched a year ago to _Golosa_ from Clark.
  I saw the videotape that accompanies _Nachalo_ last November at ACTFL and
was VERY impressed.  From what I can tell, there also is/will be integrated
software for vocabulary drills, lab tapes, workbooks, tapescript, a testing
program.  My copy was shrinkwrapped with a student tape, which followed the
textbook where it was supposed to.
  Has anybody else had a chance to look over _Nachalo_ and if so what are/
were your reactions to it?
  For us, a major selling point would be the integrated videotape and
computer software (a CD-ROM would be wonderful!), neither of which Prentice
Hall has developed for _Golosa_.
  I'd appreciate and all comments.
--
  Dan Bayer, Pitzer College, Claremont, CA 909/621-8982
  Dep't. of Modern Languages/Summer Institute of Language & Culture