OCS and 22nd (23rd) Psalm

David F. Robinson drobinso at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 3 15:05:32 UTC 1996

The Czech OCS dictionary, vol. III, p. 18, shows that the first verse of
the psalm (Eng. 'The Lord is my shepherd')  is Gospod' paset" me, [jus
malyj].  According to the dictionary, this is found in Psalterium
Sinaiticum and some post-canonical (ChSl) MSS, the Pogodin & Bologna and
two Croatian Glagolitic versions of the XIV.  This translates Greek
_poimainei me_ , a verbal construction; the Hebrew construction gets pretty
well filtered out by the time of the Byzantine Bible.

David Robinson
Ohio State U., Slavic [emeritus but still hanging in there]

robinson.2 at osu.edu