Oregon, etc.

Jack Haney haneyjav at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 5 05:17:52 UTC 1996

Loren is quite right about the pronunciation of Origun. Can he shed light
on the etymology? I have lived within hailing of Oregon half my life, the
rest in the northern neighbor and I have never heard any other
pronunciation except from easterners who most likely have never been here.
But has Loren sung the U of Oregon alma Mater recently? If I am not
mistaken, it begins "Origo'n, my alma Mater..." And that is probably
enough on this topic. jvh