Oregon, etc.

Georges Adassovsky gadassov at optpf.rain.fr
Fri Apr 5 13:17:59 UTC 1996

I really can't understand discussions on this list about oregon, etc.
Everydody knows that people from different areas pronounce words different
ways, and nobody can't rule that.
In France, people from Alsace, or from North, or from Provence will
pronounce the word "Marseille" differently, and nobody is chocked.
Listening to the pronounciation, the French simply know the area the
speaker is from.
Are things different in the United States ?
Another problem is "Ukraine", as it is a political one.(What about the
Crimea ? and what about malorosija ?)
Politicians may try to rule.
Grammarians may try tu rule.
But people have the last decision with usage, and we are all linguists,
that is observers of usage.
I may add that all members of my family, for centuries, were born in (the)
Ukraine : I consider the problem as just ridiculous, and my two parents,
born there, too (politicians from one country trying to rule usage in
another country !). It's the reason for which I didn't participate to the
discussion (I'm failing).
Recently in France a politician wanted to regulate language by suppressing
English words and replacing them with French roots. Constitutional council
answered that "language is owned by all french people" and nobody can't
rule it. They added that the only regulation that may be done is in the
redaction of official texts.
Maybe American diplomacy will use "Ukraine" instead of "the Ukraine", to
please their Ukrainian partners, but will usage be changed ?

Georges,
Tahiti.