Pastyr'

Georges Adassovsky gadassov at optpf.rain.fr
Sat Apr 6 17:12:21 UTC 1996

I wish to correct and to complete the answer I mailed recently : Ralph
Cleminson and Loren A, Billings are right, Pastyr is an ancient Russian
word, from an Indo-European root (pasti, pastbishce etc..). It seems to be
only used in a poetic or metaphoric mode today.
Pastor is used for protestant clergymen, and pastor doesn't come from
=46rench but from German.
The man who is in charge with animals is pastukh.
In addition, i told that "I can't imagine a Russian addressing a French
priest with gospodin kjure". I was wrong. It may be awkward in ordinary
conversation, but it is compulsory in official discourse (gospodin kjure,
gopodin mer, gospodin prefekt, etc)
Sorry.
The church hierarchy is : djatshok (sacristan), diakon (deacon),
svjashcennik (cure), episcop (bishop), arkhiepiscop, patriarkh.
Episcopy are not addressed "batjushka", but "vladyka".
One can't say "otets svjashcennik", but curiously "otets diakon" is possible=
.
After "otets", slavonic names are used (S=E9rgij and not Serg=E9j, Ioan and =
not
Ivan,etc...)
A monakh may be  priest, in this case he is ieromonakh and may become
episcop. He may also not to be priest. In this case he stays monakh.
Igumen is the head of a monastery.

Georges,
Tahiti.