Russian Summer: Vacation and Study

Richard Smith richard at ic.redline.ru
Mon Apr 8 01:53:51 UTC 1996

Summer School of Russian Language and Area Studies
(June 25 - September 16, 1996)

Summer Legal Russian Program
(June 25 - September 16, 1996)

The Institute for International Communication and the International
Institute of Russian Language and Culture, under the auspices of the Tver
InterContact Group, a private, non-profit educational and consulting
organization, announce the opening of enrollment for their upcoming
Summer Programs.

Building on our 1995 programs, our most successful and well-attended to
date, Tver InterContact Group and its affiliated Institutes are proud to
announce the opening of enrollment for the Second Annual Summer School
of Russian Language and Area Studies, running concurrently with the
Legal Russian Program. As in previous programs such as the 1995 Summer
School, the 1996 Winter School of Applied Russian Studies, and the 1996
Spring Legal Russian Program, the Summer programs offer opportunities
for intensive study of the Russian Language, complemented by seminars
and an extensive excursion program in related studies. All programs will be
centered at the Institutes, both of which are located in the ancient provincial
capital of Tver, in the heart of Central Russia and at the source of the River
Volga.

As in the 1995 term, the Summer schools expect to host over 150 Russian
students, and up to 100 International students from the U.S., Canada, the
E.C., Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.  Students will spend
from two to twelve weeks interacting with their peers, studying Russian, and
enjoying the culture of Russia's friendliest town -- Tver, capital of the Tver
Region between Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Students of all ages and abilities are invited to apply. Language courses will
be offered at levels ranging from introductory through advanced, and our
instructors tailor each program curriculum to the unique abilities, needs,
and interests of the students. Area studies seminars on Russian history,
literature, cinematography, politics, economics, and law are offered both in
the Russian and English languages. The coursework centers on 16 hours of
language study per week, with classes running from Monday through
Thursday. Language courses will be supplemented by an extensive array of
cultural seminars and excursions throughout the city of Tver to visit local
museums and artisans' workshops, and to see plays and concerts at area
theaters and concert halls. Weekends will be free for individual sightseeing
and travel, although each weekend will also feature excursions to
monasteries,  churches, and museums in towns of the Tver region, and
special extended excursions to nearby cities such as Moscow and St.
Petersburg.

On the cultural side, the Russian summer offers attractions entirely unlike
those known in the West. In addition to their studies and scheduled
excursions, students can expect to spend much of their time relaxing at
picnics and on boat trips on the Volga, visits to the woods to pick wild
mushrooms and berries, and while strolling up and down the famous
Tryochsvyatskaya Street, mingling with the local Russians as they celebrate
the end of winter and the birth of new life. We welcome all our new students
to experience this wonderful season!

Although the Summer School will primarily attract university students of
Russian (and the Legal Program, law students) enrollment is unlimited in
each Program. We invite students, professors, teachers, business people and
tourists of any age and trade, who are  attracted to the active exploration of
a national Culture, Language, and People, rather than dreary sightseeing
tours trapped behind a tour bus window and caught in the vise of a package
tour schedule.

SUMMER PROGRAMS

The Summer School and Legal Program both begin on June 25 and
continue through September 16. Participants may enroll for from 2 to 12
weeks, and may select from several programs of study and ways of spending
their free time outside of program events. We offer the following program
lengths:

Short Program (2 weeks) -- beginning on June 25 and beginning anew each
2 week period thereafter, throughout the Term.

Standard Program (3 to 6 weeks) -- beginning on June 25, July 16, and
August 6 and 27.

Full Program (7 to 12 weeks) -- beginning on June 25, and July 9 and 23.

Although no scholarships are available, financial support from the Tver
Regional Board of Education and the City Council of Tver already helps us
to make our programs the least expensive offered anywhere in Russia. Exact
prices and further information will be provided upon request.

For more information, please contact:

Richard Smith
International Programs Director
International Institute of Russian Language and Culture

P.O. Box 0565
Central Post Office
Tver 170000, Russia

Email:  richard at ic.redline.ru