Sum: _shchelepa_

Henryk Duda DUDA at zeus.kul.lublin.pl
Sat Apr 20 17:37:02 UTC 1996

Dear Seelangers,
On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, I posted the following request:

     I have no access to the J. Rudnyc'kyj's An etymological
     Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language (published at Winnipeag?).
     Could anyone know if Rudnyc'kyj explain the etymology of the
     word _szczelepa_ (shtchelepa?)?I have no access to the J.
     Rudnyc'kyj's An etymological Dictionary of the Ukrainian
     Language (published at Winnipeag?). Could anyone know if
     Rudnyc'kyj explain the etymology of the word _szczelepa_
     (shtchelepa?)?

First of all, my thanks to the following respondents:

     Myron Hlynka <hlynka at server.uwindsor.ca>
     Marie A. Ulanowicz" <marijka at cbl.cees.edu>
     Myron Momryk <hlynka at server.uwindsor.ca>
     Jack.McIntosh at library.ubc.ca
     Orysia Tracz <tracz at cc.UManitoba.CA>
     Bob Kravchuk <KRAVCHUK at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU>
     "Koscevic, Nevenka" <nkoscev at bldgdafoe.lan1.umanitoba.ca>

Conclusions:

1. The word _shchelepa_ does not appear in Professor Rudnyckyj's
dictionary.

2. The full bibliographical information for the dictionary is as
follows: Rudnyc'kyj, J.B. An Etymological dictionary of the Ukrainian
language. Vol.1, pt.1-11: A-G: Winnipeg, Man. : Ukrainian Free
Academy of Sciences, 1962-1972. Vol.2, pt.1-11: D-' (m'iahkyi znak):
Ottawa: Distributed by University of Ottawa Press, 1975?-1982. Parts
6-11 of vol.2 (p.401-1125) issued as a typescript/manuscript.
(Nevenka Koscevic <nkoscev at cc.umanitoba.ca>)

3. The dictionary was "completed" -- but certainly not to any high
standards.  The first volume was done fairly well, and then the last
two bound ones were sloppy, done on the fly, disappointing.  In his
"Postscript" at the end of the last volume, JBR explains the
circumstances of the lateness and quality of the publication.  on
the verso of the title page, "due to circumstances discussed in the
Postscript to thei Dictionary parts 6-11 (17-22) appear in their
first edition as a manuscript with selective entries only.  The
second, full, edition of those parts is in preparation."

It sure is a manuscript -- handwritten, and other photocopied (incl.
photocopied articles of other authors) entries, straight from the
typewriter, basic words missing, etc. etc. (Orysia Tracz
<Tracz at cc.Umanitoba.CA>

4. The J.B.Rudnyckyj Papers are located in the National Archives of
Canada. Prof. Rudnyckyj passed away in October, 1995 in Montreal.
Please contact me if you have any further questions about the Prof.
Rudnyckyj Papers. (Myron Momryk <hlynka at server.uwindsor.ca>)

5. Another etymological dictionary: Mytropolyt Ilarion (Ivan
Ohiienko) Etymolohichno-semantychnyi slovnyk ukrains'koi movy.
vols 1-4 Winnipeg: Tovarystvo Volyn, 1979-94.  (seriia: Instytut
doslidiv Volyni) (Orysia Tracz <tracz at cc.umanitoba.ca>)

6. shchelepa = jaw

"odna z dvokh lyts'ovych kistok, v iakykh trymaiut'sia zuby,
horishnia i dolishnia, abo verkhnia i nyzhnia shchelepa, na Zakh.
Ukraini perev. pershyi variant.  Slovo zustrich. i v ros. dialozi,
inodi u formi "skelep."  M. Vasmer prypuskaie sporidnennia iz slovom
"shchilyna"; st. slov. cheliust', ros. cheliust'." (Orysia Tracz
<tracz at cc.umanitoba.ca>)

7. Far from "skelep" to "skull"?  some Indo-Europ. connection  sk-l ?
(Orysia Tracz <tracz at cc.umanitoba.ca>)

Thanks,
Henryk

--