Russian Judgments

Gene Vachon vachon at ling.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 20 19:35:51 UTC 1996

Greetings,

        I am working on a project that involves determining the binding
possibilities within the Double Object Construction in Russian, and I am
in need of native speaker judgments for the sentences below.  Please send me
judgments directly and I'll be happy to post a summary if there seems to be
interest.

(1)  a.  Boris predstavil Ivanovyx drug drugu
     b.  Boris predstavil drug drugu Ivanovyx
     c.  Boris predstavil Ivanovym drug druga
     d.  Boris predstavil drug druga Ivanovym

(2)  a.  Boris Ivanovyx drug drugu predstavil
     b.  Boris drug drugu Ivanovym predstavil
     c.  Boris Ivanovym drug druga predstavil
     d.  Boris drug druga Ivanovym predstavil

(3)  a.  Boris Ivanovyx predstavil drug drugu
     b.  Boris drug drugu predstavil Ivanovyx
     c.  Boris Ivanovym predstavil drug druga
     d.  Boris drug druga predstavil Ivanovym

Please let me know (a) which are ungrammatical; (b) which feel like the
least marked way to say these sentences in a neutral context;  (c) are
there any changes in meaning associated with the changes in word order; and
(d) any other observations you'd care to make.  Thanks in advance to anyone
who has time to help me with these --

                                Sincerely, Gene Vachon
                                           Department of Linguistics
                                           University of Pennsylvania