Russian Judgments

Valentina Zaitseva zaitseva at is.nyu.edu
Thu Apr 25 00:31:42 UTC 1996

Dear Gene,
here is what i think:

>(1)  a.  Boris predstavil Ivanovyx drug drugu O.K.
>     b.  Boris predstavil drug drugu Ivanovyx o.k. (but (1a) is better)
>     c.  Boris predstavil Ivanovym drug druga *
>     d.  Boris predstavil drug druga Ivanovym * ("Ivanovym" feels like a
>union, some kind of a known set, so breaking the set into two  unknown
>components, i.e., "each other" results in a contadictory statement)
>
>(2)  a.  Boris Ivanovyx drug drugu predstavil o.k.,
                                                but only if sent. stress is on
                                      drug DRUGU; then it seems to be the
unswer
                                        to someone's request to repeat info.
>     b.  Boris drug drugu Ivanovym predstavil*
>     c.  Boris Ivanovym drug druga predstavil*
>     d.  Boris drug druga Ivanovym predstavil*
>
>(3)  a.  Boris Ivanovyx predstavil drug drugu
>     b.  Boris drug drugu predstavil Ivanovyx ?/* (it is difficult to
>imagine a
                                        context in which this would sound

                                          natural; to my mind, this word
order makes the same effect as when Ivanovy is inthe instr. case- i.e.,
ill-formed;)
>     c.  Boris Ivanovym predstavil drug druga *
>     d.  Boris drug druga predstavil Ivanovym *

-Are you aware of the Yokoyama's work on word order and intonation? (I know
that Tina kraskow used it - and I base most of my work on Yokoyama's
model).
It is interesting that the same sent. uttered with different intonation may
be judged as un- or grammatical.
Just in case :
Olga T. Yokoyama. 1986/87. Discourse and word order. John Benjamins:
Amsterdam/ Philadelphia.

        Good luck!
Valentina.