plagiarism (Dostoevsky article)

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Mon Apr 29 21:05:08 UTC 1996

An emigre student of mine just handed in a paper on why Raskolnikov committed
the murder that seems to me to be plagiarized. The beginning is so striking
I can't believe she wrote it herself. I give it here in the hope that some
one among you will recognize it and tell me the source. Here it is:
[I'm giving it in a rough transliteration.] Sibir'. Na shirokoi,pustynnoi
reke raspolozhen gorod, v kotorom nakhoditsja krepost'. V kreposti ostrog.
{I'll continue in English.} In the jail for nine monts now has been
imprisoned ... the prisoner Rodion Raskolnikov. Since the day of the crime
almost a year and a half has passed. The criminal lay on his bunk and
thought. He thought about the resurrection of Lazarus, which is spoken
about in the Gospel. The Gospel lay under his pillow. What brought this
person here, to Siberia?! A crime!
Many thanks to anyone who can identify this. Emily Tall
mllemily at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu