Job postings

Henryk Baran hbaran at ios.com
Sun Aug 25 19:08:39 UTC 1996

George Fowler's point that information of interest to some fraction of the
SEELANGS audience could be placed on and retrieved from the AATSEEL web
page is well taken. However, we might bear in mind that not everyone will
be moved to scan the page on a regular basis; many people don't treat Net
surfing as a vital daily activity, and, hence, something with a short time
fuse will likely escape them and their students.  We are all more likely to
pass on relevant information when it comes directly into our mailbox!

Moreover, I wonder why job postings are any more of a "waste of bandwidth"
than the random inquiries on words and expressions in the various
languagues, or the occasional bibliographic queries, that appear on this
list on a fairly regular basis.  More than a few of these could be resolved
by a little digging in a library, yet I haven't seen people expressing
indignation when these come popping into our in-boxes. Why is something
that could help students less important?

Henryk Baran
(201) 967-1593 (voice)  (201) 967-8014 (fax)
e-mail:  hbaran at ios.com