Program Assistant Position Open (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 27 16:37:00 UTC 1996

Well, since I'm still temporarily homeless (and will be for another month
or 2) and staying with friends, I don't have a computer hooked up that I
can check my email regularly.  Thus, I haven't officially opened up the
flood-gates of the listservs to which I belong, which I had sent NOMAIL
commands to in the beginning of the summer.  Therefore, I only have a
minute idea of the string of postings that may or may not have been
happening on SEELANGS on the job postings topic.

Hopefully things have remained civilized and not too ugly (hehe).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.  I'm teaching in a public school.  It was *very*
hard for me to find this job.  I tried MANY MANY venues.  Made numerous
connections and tracked so many leads.  I always appreciated being told of
a job here or there by people who wanted to help.

Although I'm teaching now, there was a time long ago that I graduated
with a BA in Russian and had not a clue as to what opportunities were out
there for me outside of the US government.  I didn't know how to look for
a job then, like I do now.  Back then, I would have really appreciated
seeing these types of job opportunities so that I could get a feel for
what really IS "out there" and what kind of experience I would need to
gain to obtain those kinds of jobs.

So now, even though I mostly teach French (although I'm doing a Russian
exploratory class this year -- a MAJOR coup, IMHO!), I still have a
special place in my heart for those undergrads and grad students about to
enter the job market who are coming from a background in Russian.  I love
to talk to undergrads about the kinds of opportunities that are out there
and discuss what kinds of things they might consider doing to prepare
themselves for certain types of jobs.

My hope, therefore, is to help not just students (who probably do not
subscribe to this list) but also academic advisors from Slavic/Russian
departments who also enjoy helping their students find professional
success.  Students need to know what kinds of opportunities exist out
there for them and they need help in knowing how to get "real life"
experience.  I hope these postings contribute a little in this direction.

Finally, thank you to those who send me direct messages (I did receive
those) which were supportive and positive.  Maybe it's for the best that I
didn't see the other postings.  Regardless, the jobs will keep coming, and
if you're not interested, just hit that old DELETE key -- no offense
taken.  :-)

Have a great day everybody!

Devin