18th century Ukrainian song collection

Ralph Cleminson CLEMINSO at ceu.hu
Wed Dec 4 08:45:58 UTC 1996

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 Dieter Stern wrote:
> Dorogie Seelanzhane!
> Ivan Franko published in the 38th vol. of the "Zapysky Naukovoho Tovarystvo
> im. Shevchenka" an article on Carpatoruthenian literature of the 17th and
> 18th century. On p. 126 begins a description of a Ukrainian manuscript song
> collection (containing mainly religious songs, called psalmy or kanty).
> Franko names it "Kamyanskiy Bogoglasnik 1734 roku". Unfortunately I
> couldn't find out, which library this manuscript belongs to. Does anyone
> have an idea or even exact knowledge about the present whereabouts of this
> manuscript?

I don't know about this particular MS, but Ivan Franko's archive is
now fond 3 of the T.H.Shevchenko Literature Institute of the
Ukrainian Academy of Sciences in Kiev (used to be vul. Kirova, 4, but
what the new name of the street is I don't know).  This contains not
only I.F.'s own papers, but also his large collection of mediaeval
and early modern MSS, so it is the most likely place to start
looking.  Before you do, though, you should see if you can find the
article in the 50-vol. Zibrannja tvoriv of I.F., published in Kiev in
the 70s-80s (I think), as the notes may provide the information
you're seeking.
R.M.Cleminson, M.A., D.Phil.
Dept of Mediaeval Studies, Central European University
Post: H-1245 Budapest 5, P.O.B.1082
Phone: +361 327 3024   Fax: +361 327 3055
http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/ralph.htm