AATSEEL Panel: Language Contact

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 9 19:28:37 UTC 1996

Dear SEELANGers,

> >1. To Propose a Panel. Any member may propose a panel by submitting a
> >panel declaration form to the appropriate division head by 15 January.
> ... it sounds like those of us who'd like to propose panels had better
> get on the ball.

Yes and no. The bad news is that 15 January is the deadline by which I
have to get the panel information to the Newsletter editors for
publication in the February newsletter. You should try to get your
declaration to the division head a few days before that, so that it can
make its way from them to me to the newsletter. But there are at least two
pieces of good news:

1) A panel declaration consists of only a panel title, an indication of
which division the panel belongs in, and a chair (name, affiliation,
address[es], phone[s], fax[es], and email[s]). That's it. In particular,
you don't need to have your panelists lined up (this ain't the AAASS,
folks!). The point of the panel declaration is that it gets published in
the Newsletter before you've filled your panel, and members who read the
list of declared panels then know how to get in touch with chairs to
express an interest in participating.

2) I will accept panel declarations after early January, but they won't be
listed in the February newsletter, which means that a lot of people won't
hear about them, which defeats the purpose of a call for papers. I will,
of course, put them up on the web page as they come in. If you want as
many people as possible to hear about your panel and to be able to submit
papers to it, you should probably aim to get your declaration in early.

Cheers,

David

Professor David J. Birnbaum     email: djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
Department of Slavic Languages  url:   http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~djb/
1417 Cathedral of Learning      voice: 1-412-624-5712
University of Pittsburgh        fax:   1-412-624-9714
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA