GEN.PL of _svecha_ and other such words in Russian

Robert Davison isrobert at msmail.is.cphk.hk
Sat Feb 3 09:53:50 UTC 1996

Loren Billings wrote:
>Hom amny other forms like svech have gone to svechej?  Are they linked to
>stress?

typos apart, i am bemused by the term "calcified expression". I thought
calcification and sclerosis has something to do with Zamyatin's "My". Are
there also sclerotic expressions? As for "its not woth the candle", i have
difficulty figuring out the english meaning, let alone the russian. similar
to "it takes the biscuit"? As was remarked earlier, not all of us have
native speaker fluency - whatever that might mean. I know several native
speakers who are functionally illiterate and incoherent. diachronic
transition indeed!