Sum: GEN.PL of _svecha_ and other such words in Russian

Loren Billings billings at mailer.fsu.edu
Tue Feb 6 00:15:48 UTC 1996

Dear colleagues:

Thanks to Alexei Lebedev, Bill Mahota, and Sibelan Forrester for their
replies.  I forward Bill's message to the list below FYI.  It's exactly
what I was after.

Thanks again,  --Loren

>Date: Sat, 3 Feb 1996 15:15:26 -0500 (EST)
>From: William Mahota <william.mahota at yale.edu>
>To: "Loren A. Billings" <BILLINGS at pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
>Subject: Re: GEN.PL of _svecha_ and other such words in Russian
>
>Loren,
>You might want to look at my article on the g.pl. in East Slavic in JSL
>Vol. 1, #2, esp. pp. 327-8.  There is no easy answer, but it  is tied
>to stres, which is probably why your informnt didn't like kioskershej,
>since it is stem stressed.In many forms which have hushers or whose
>stems end in a soft consoant, there is a conflict between assignment
>of zero vs. ej. I don't have too much on it there, and most of the
>sources only say that there are doublets.
>Bill

Loren A. Billings
Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Florida State University
362 Diffenbaugh Building
Tallahassee, FL 32302-1020

Office Fax:    (904)644-0524