Alis Multilingual web browser? Any experience?

George Mitrevski mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Sat Feb 10 18:06:31 UTC 1996

On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Ernest Scatton wrote:

> Regarding fonts:
>     What solutions have people who are writing HTML come up with for IPA
> and the symbols of other phonetics character sets? I'm working on pages
> for intro to linguistics course, and I've only been able to come up with
> .gif files for IPA, but nothing for the so-called "international" AATSEEL
> type of transcription/transliteration.

Ernie,

If you are working with a Mac, try this:

Use a text editor like BBEdit Lite (or anything, really) that can work
with an 8 bit font, select your IPA font and create your document with
it. Remember, on the web you can use only one font, you can't mix fonts.
You should use the same IPA font to create your entire document.
Actually, you can use two fonts: one fixed width and one proportional
width. Ideally, then, you should have available one fixed width and one
proportional width IPA font.

Before you are ready to view your document, set up your browser font
preferences (and I know how to do it only with Netscape 2.0) to the same
fonts as you used to create your document. Even if you don't use a fixed
font in your document, Netscape requires you to have one selected. So, if
you don't use a fixed IPA font in your document, select any fixed font
you have available on your system. Go to the options menu and for the
Document encoding select Western (MacRoman). Now, if your students want
to read your HTML documents with an IPA font, they will have to have that
font available on their system, and they will have to set up Netscape to
use that font and encoding. At Auburn, I asked the system administrator
to install a 2 KOI-8 fonts on all computers in the public labs. When
students need to access my koi-8 documents, they simply configure
Netscape to use those fonts.

Hope this helps.

George Mitrevski
Auburn University