russkij mat

Keith Goeringer keg at violet.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 11 03:06:47 UTC 1996

Regarding sources for *mat*, David Powelsto wrote:

>We had it in the UC
>Berkeley Slavic Dpt. Library.  Maybe Keith Goering, or some other kind UCB
>soul could pluck it off the shelf and post the biblio data?

Well, most of the sources have already been mentioned by others, including
the infamous Berkeley _Dictionary of Russian Obscenities_ (Berkeley Slavic
Specialties, Berkeley, 1980) which I happen to have on my shelf.  In the
preface, there is a brief survey of the "genre" -- again, most of the ones
noted there have already been cited in postings to this list.  Things I
have not seen mentioned include a 1977 _Supplement_ to Galler and Marquess'
1972 book, and the fact that the "need" for reference works of this type
was made clear by the reissuance of Afanas'ev's _Russkie zavetnye skazki_.

Such is the contribution of this kind soul...

Keith

Keith Goeringer
UC Berkeley
Slavic Languages & Literatures