Loren A. Billings billings at mailer.fsu.edu
Sat Feb 24 08:04:46 UTC 1996

Thanks to the following kind souls for responding to date:  W. Mucha, K.
Dziwirek, K. Krivinkova, T. Krstic, S. Forrester, W. Browne, L. Jasinskyj.

This is what I found out from each language indicated (_^_ = hac^ek):

                  'without anything'   'without anybody'
Polish:           bez niczego          bez nikogo
Czech:            bez nic^eho          bez nikoho
Serbo-Croatian:   bez ic^ega           bez ikoga
Bulgarian:        bez nis^to           bez nikogo
Ukrainian:        bez nic^oho          bez nikoho
Russian:          bez nic^ego          bez nikogo

To my knowledge, _bez_ is the only preposition that precedes *both* _ni_
(or _i_) *and* the interrogative stem in all the Slavic languages.  I
doubt very much that the remaining Slavic languages depart from this
surprising uniformity.  I would still be very interested in learning how any
additional languages, both modern and older, behave with regard to this
phrase.  Thanks again to the respondents.  --Loren (billings at mailer.fsu.edu)