English words of "The Internationale".

Nancy Condee condee+ at pitt.edu
Sun Feb 25 17:31:38 UTC 1996

I believe the official Soviet version avoids it in English.  If I may
back up a line ("My nash, my novyi mir postroim: / Kto byl... etc."):

        We'll change forthwith (!) the old conditions
        And spurn the dust to win the prize.

For the _Internationale_ buffs out there (yes, both of you!), other
languages handle it this way:

German:         Wir waren nichts, jetzt sind wir da!
Mongolian:      Unen bat zhyrmyg togtoono!
French:         Nous ne sommes rien, soyens tout!
Esperanto:      ne nul, sed cio estu ni!
Albanian:       Boten e re ne vent te saj!

Note: the order cited above does not necessarily reflect the anticipated
path of world revolution, but you never know.