Bar code in Russian?

David W. Mayberry mayberry at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 28 18:28:51 UTC 1996

                   Ohio University Electronic Communication

   Date:  28-Feb-1996 01:27pm EST

     To:  Remote Addressee                     ( _MX%"seelangs at cunyvm.cuny.edu"
 )

   From:  David Mayberry                             Dept:  Modern Languages
          MAYBERRY                                 Tel No:  (614)593-2765

Subject:  Bar code in Russian?

SEELANGers,

The Department of Industrial Technology here at Ohio University has invited a
group of Russians for a seminar on bar-coding and automatic identification.
They are trying to make materials bilingual, and they have turned to some of our
resident Russians to ask for translations.  These native speakers have since
turned to me with questions about some terms in Russian!  I would appreciate any
replies (off-list, of course) from native speakers of Russian  who are certain
of how the following terms are expressed in Russia:

1) Bar code.

2) Automatic identification. (of things, not people)

3) Data communications.  (yes, I know this is probably in a technical
dictionary, but I do not have one handy, and while I am asking about the
others...)

4) Department of Industrial Technology. (is it Fakul'tet promyshlennoj
texnologii or Fakul'tet texnologii promyshlennosti or Fakul'tet texnologii v
promyshlennosti?  Or something else?)

I have some idea of how to say these, of course, but I would rather rely on
a native speaker who uses these terms.

Spasibo zaranee za vashu pomoshch'!

David Mayberry
mayberry at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu