KOI8 standards (was - email to and from Russia)

Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj NEMESIS at TRYZUB.com
Thu Jan 4 23:08:34 UTC 1996

At 17:09 1/4/96, Zenon M. Feszczak wrote:

>>KOI8r, KOI-8 ukrainian
>
>Does anyone know of a document (hopefully available
>over the airwaves) detailing the differences between
>these two encodings?
>Or is this KOI-8 Ukrainian simply a de facto standard?
It basically is (due to Russia being a colonial power) based
on the Russian KOI-8.

>The version of KOI8  worked out for the ER Fonts
>(hats off to Gavin Helf, wherever he may roam)
>supports Ukrainian without alienating Russian speakers,
>or, conversely, supports Russian without alienating
>Ukrainian speakers, both of which tasks are
>rare enough accomplishments in the non-virtual world.
Yup.

>The question is whether this conforms to the above
>mentioned KOI-8 Ukrainian and/or KOI-8r (which I
>assume to be what people common refer to as KOI-8).

Here's some technical info from the Ukrainian Library
in Moscow (great chaps when I visited them!):

From: libukr at glas.apc.org
Newsgroups: soc.culture.ukrainian
Date: 20 Mar 95 22:07 GMT+0300
Subject: Ukrainian letters ASCII codes

Dear friends!
I'll try to give you the information about
Ukrainian language ASCII codes, providing
that you are able to create the driver for your system,
that is not IBM compatible.

Ukrainian letter      small CAPITAL     English prononciation analog
                                        (the sounding letter is made Capital )

        a              160      128                         bUt
        b              161      129                         But
        v              162      130                         Very
        gh             163      131                         Great+Hi
        g              243      242                         Great
        d              164      132                         Dear
        e              165      133                         At
        ye             245      244                         YEt
        dz             166      134                         Journal
        z              167      135                         Zebra
        y              168      136                         [hard, not soft I]
        i              247      246                         hEre
        ii             249      248                         heroIne
        yi             169      137                         staY
        k              170      138                         Kill
        l              171      139                         Last
        m              172      140                         Meet
        n              173      141                         Now
        o              174      142                         cOw
        p              175      143                         Post
        r              224      144                         Road
        s              225      145                         Sport
        t              226      146                         Time
        u              227      147                         tOO
        f              228      148                         Free
        kh             229      149                         Here
        c              230      150                         TSar
        ch             231      151                         CHase
        sh             232      152                         Sure
        sch            233      153                         SHake
        yu             238      158                         Use
        ya             239      159                         YArd
        '              236      156                         [myaghkyi znak]