Russians in Lakeside District (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jan 9 13:39:26 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:14:32 -0900
From: Michele Whaley <MWhaley+ at mail.asd.k12.ak.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list FLTEACH <FLTEACH at UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Russians in Lakeside District

Dear List,

Are there teachers of Russian in Lakeside District who could tutor a
student for a semester's credit?

I have had a phone conversation today with a former student and her
parents. They left our school in late December to move to San Diego, where
she is registered in the Lakeside District public school system.

Because the girl has had one and one-half years of Russian, and cannot find
courses in her district to finish her two years, the parents wanted me to
provide her a correspondence course. The principal of the school said that
would be fine as long as I could also "transcript" the course (whatever
that means!).

The parents pointed out that their daughter cannot enter any of the nearby
colleges without two years of language study (to which I say, "Yeah,
colleges! Keep it up!") and she does not want to start over.

Although I sympathize deeply with the family's problems, I don't believe
that I can teach from Alaska. I said that I would ask the experts on
FLTEACH, and that if the family would send their e-mail address, I would
forward responses. I am hoping that someone here can suggest a resource.

Ah! The mail bell went off. Here is the note the parents just sent:

>Mrs. Whaley,
>  As requested here is our information for you to respond to when you are able
>to locate a Russian tutor for Denise.  I really hope we can work something out
>because Denise has all the other requirements met and really wants to continue
>on in Russian.

>Thanks,
>Kathy & Skip Sage

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Michele Whaley

Michele Whaley
East High School
4025 East Northern Lights Blvd.