surfing the web in/for Russian class

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:39:45 UTC 1996

I'm teaching two one-hour/week enrichment classes for students of Russian
at the first- and second-year levels (at the university level) and would
like to assign students to explore the world wide web for sites connected
to Russian language and culture.  I'm not particularly interested in
assigning students to look at particular web sites, as I'd rather have them
find things on their own.  Does anyone know of a particularly good way to
incorporate such tasks as part of a homework assignment and how one could
design the tasks to get students excited about surfing the web?  I'd also
appreciate any tips on how to design speaking or writing tasks reporting on
the web sites they find and how to assess student performance on these
tasks.  Thanks for any help.  If people respond to me individually, I will
summarize responses and post them to the list.

Benjamin Rifkin
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI  53706
(608) 262-1623; fax (608) 265-2814
e-mail:  brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu