Slavic Web Sites

E. Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 15 21:26:37 UTC 1996

Gary Toops says:
>I have no trouble accessing http://www.cs.ut.ee/~roman_l/rusweb.html
>as long as I access http://www.cs.ut.ee/ first.  Once I have the
>home page for Tartu University's Computer Science Dept. I can expand
>the address to include the additional links (~roman_l/rusweb.html).
>
>I use a Mac and a 14.4 modem from home.

I use a Mac and dial into Cornell University's mainframe. The first
time I tried I couldn't get to Roman's list; the second time (last night)
I got through and found a great multiplicity of links to Russian and
Slavic department at universities round the world; just now I tried again
(repeatedly) and got a message
" ! Netscape is unable to locate the server:
 www.cs.ut.ee
The server does not have a DNS entry.

Check the server name in the Location (URL)
and try again. "
This happens no matter whether I try http://www.cs.ut.ee/~roman_l/rusweb.html
or http://www.cs.ut.ee/.
I find this on-and-off-again behavior mysterious.
Wayles

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.
tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)