Moldavians in Russian class

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.Hunter.CUNY.EDU
Sun Jan 28 16:58:26 UTC 1996

The problem of native speakers in beginning Russian classes is
nation-wide, it seems. At Hunter College in New York we face it as well.
However, George's question "why to study Russian if you already speak
it?" may be answered -- to learn how to write and read. In my first year
Russian class I have three students from x USSR who speak fluently, yet
make horrible mistakes in writing and read with difficulty. If their
effort to master their Russian is sincere (as is the case with two out
of three of these students) then they are not altogether hopeless. The
only difficulty is to grade them in such a way that the rest of the class
(American
students) won't feel disadvantaged. As one of our colleagues suggested,
the solution is to give the Russian speakers an entry test and make it
clear to them that their final grade for the class will reflect they
progress in this class only.
        Of course those Russians who came to Russian classes just to get
credits for doing nothing are hopeless, and those schools that couldn't
affford to chase them out because of low enrollments, have yet to figure out
what to do with them...
        The problem expressed above is related to classes with mixed
(Russian and American) student body only. At Hunter we offer a number of
classes that are successfuly taken by native speakers - besides literary
courses conducted in Russian we offer a practical translation course and
"English Grammar for speakers of Russian."
        There are a number of other problems with Russian
students--cheating, talking to each other during lecture time, lack of
analytical skills, etc. But
it's another, no less painful problem, which has yet to be addressed...
Emil A. Draitser
Hunter College of CUNY