New 1996 Listserv on Catherine the Great

Lurana OMalley omalley at hawaii.edu
Tue Jan 30 05:28:41 UTC 1996

Please excuse crossposting of this message.

EKATERINA-L

ANNOUNCING A NEW LISTSERV (e-mail discussion list)
on Catherine the Great of Russia

in this the bicentennial of her death

This listserv discussion (EKATERINA-L) will be devoted to scholarly
consultation about the life and times and impact of
Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia (1729-96).  We welcome
participation from scholars in many fields and accept contributions in
English as well as Catherine's main modern Western languages: Russian,
German, and French.

Our hope is to conduct the discussion in this one year, 1996. Therefore
we invite your active participation in EKATERINA-L over the next eleven
months, addressing questions such as these:

 -- What does the reception of Catherine the Great in her day and now
 tell us about women and power?
 -- What are the issues (cultural, political, ethnic, national, literary)
that are raised when a German princess becomes the Russian Empress?
 -- What is Catherine's importance as a collector and preserver of art and
 arts?
 -- What are important aspects of the cultural period in multi-cultural
Russia and what were her contributions to it?
 -- How is Catherine, or is she not, a Russian?
 -- How is she, or is she not, an Enlightenment figure?

 We invite more questions and as many answers and parts of answers as any
 of us can come up with.

 By subscribing to the list, you let other scholars know of your interest
 in the issues Catherine raises, in Catherine as historical or cultural
 figure, in this time period, and in professional and scholarly events
 related to Catherine the Great.

 We seek scholars in many fields, such as eighteenth-century studies,
 Russian studies, women's studies, history, literature, theater, music,
 art. Please let your colleagues know!

 How to subscribe:

Send an email message to this address: LISTSERV at UHCCVM.ITS.HAWAII.EDU
 (Or if you need to, send it to LISTSERV at UHCCVM.BITNET)

 The message itself should contain one line:

                 SUBSCRIBE EKATERINA-L <your name>

 In my case, for example, the message would look like this:

                  SUBSCRIBE EKATERINA-L Ruth P. Dawson

 Within a day of getting your message (unless we, the "list owners" get
 really tied up away from our computers), you will receive confirmation
 that you are signed on. We look forward to a lively and informative year.

 Ruth Dawson                            Lurana Donnels O'Malley
 Assoc. Prof. of Women's Studies        Assist. Prof. of Theatre and Dance
 University of Hawaii at Manoa          University of Hawaii at Manoa
 Women's Studies Program                Dept. of Theatre and Dance
 2424 Maile Way, Porteus 722            1770 East-West Road
 Honolulu, Hawaii 96822                  Honolulu, Hawaii 96822

 Tel. 808 956-8669                       Tel. 808 956-9609
 Fax  808 956-9616                       Fax  808 956-4234

 e-mail:   dawson at hawaii.edu             e-mail:   omalley at hawaii.edu