Trouble at CUP

L.C.J. Jacobson lcj+ at pitt.edu
Wed Mar 6 02:22:09 UTC 1996

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Ernest Scatton wrote:

> The book was in fact
> cancelled by CUP. There was talk of a protest campaign, but I couldn't
> find any trace of it searching the WWW. I'd be grateful if anyone could
> provide more specifices.

A quick search utilizing Alta Vista (one of the most powerful and easy
to use search engines in the world: <http://www.altavista.digital.com/>)
brought up a link to <http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~sae/threads/CUP/>, part
of the H-Net Humanities OnLine server.  The first few lines of this page
read as follows:

"The Cambridge University Press Case

IN NOVEMBER OF 1995 Cambridge University Press withdraw a verbal agreement
to publish a promising manuscript about Greece written by Dr. Anastasia
Karakasidou, entitled Fields of Wheat, Hills of Blood. They did so because
of threats of potential violence that might have harmed CUP employees in
Greece. This case has significant implications for freedom of expression,
and academic freedom. This page serves as a guide to a series of documents
related to it."

There are numerous links on the page to other sources of information.

-jake