Slavic field

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at wolfenet.com
Sat Mar 16 06:58:48 UTC 1996

Hey, sweetie-pie! You got my point! How sweet it is: especially the last
four or five sentences responding to Robert Orr.

I was, of course, not addressing administrators, but ourselves. By
watching these exchanges one can see that a number of departments are in
deep do-do; students are leaving too soon or do not sign up in the first
place, etc. etc. What do we do? Well, for one thing, we won't rescue
ourselves by hunkering down and writing even more about even less,
grasping at our literary or linguistic straws as we go, and leaving the
first year or so to the tender mercies of graduate students. (Their real
job is to get out of graduate school as quickly as they can.) What has
to happen is that the language and its transmittal is seen as important
and actually worthy of reward and status by every member of the
profession whether or not they themselves engage in the development and
transfer.
Our bread and butter (students) must be provided for, and well, or
there'll be no provisions for us.
Thanks again, Andrea

Genevra Gerhart