Slavic field

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Sat Mar 16 13:27:00 UTC 1996

I apologize because I'm coming into this string a bit late, so I hope I'm
not repeating something that's already been mentioned....

Numbers have been delining in Russian for years (I can't speak for other
Slavic/E European languages).  We all have our theories as to why, but I
guess we have to look at what we must *do* to change this.  Numbers are
going down in other languages as well--AATF (the counterpart of ACTR) and
its members are freaking because numbers are declinging in French
nationally.  It seems that the only language where numbers are on the
rise is Spanish (at least on the rise here in the US, I should say).
I've talked with a few colleagues (Russian and French) about this
situation and no one knows exactly what to do.

One thing I've seen suggested is to do a lot of PR for your department
or program (be it secondary or higher ed).  Offer culture-courses that
are appealing to non-majors (which might, in turn, "turn someone on" to
the field once they try it).  Form partnerships with other departments
and offer interdisciplinary courses (offer a Business Russian course, for
example).  Or, particulary if you're a secondary teacher, hook up with
the *special ed* teacher (yes, the special ed teacher) and learn about
making 2nd language learning more accesible to those with learning
disabilites.

These are just some ideas I've heard.  No one has handed me "the answer"
(altho I wish someone would!).  What about other people "out there"--do
you have a program that is thriving while everyone else's is going down
the tubes?  What suggestions can you offer?  I've seen this issue of
declining enrollments for quite a few years now.  And now I'm seeing it
happen w/my French colleagues, so I'm wondering if we in the Slavic field
can offer them any advice.....

Devin