LITERATURE: Request for Help

Patricia A. Burak (OIS) paburak at summon.syr.edu
Fri Mar 22 14:30:08 UTC 1996

Dear Members of SEELANGS:
I apologize if I am violating any SEELANGS protocols; I am not a
member of your listserv.  However, I am seeking help in Russian
literature, and this network was suggested to me as a possible source
of help.  If there is another more appropriate network I should try,
please inform me.

I have translated a Russian novel which was written by Natalya
Malakhovskaya, a feminist writer who now lives in Austria.  In this
novel, Malakhovskaya uses many epigraphs from literature, Russian,
German, and others.  There is one quote which is attributed to
Dostoevsky, but not which work!  Does anyone know this quote?
'Laughter demands first of all sincerity, and where among people can
you find sincerity?  Sincere and kind laughter - this is real gaiety
- and where among people in our times can you find gaiety and do
people know how to enjoy themselves?" (This is my own translation so
please excuse any errors)

Additionally, she used a quote from someone with the last name OYE.
The quote reads like this, in two parts: "Indeed is a human being so
insignificant /is it indeed that mankind's heart is worthy of only
being trampled..." "Indeed, the word - is freedom."

Well, if anyone of the literary persuasion has a clue about either of
these quotes, I would be quite grateful.

Also, if anyone is interested in the novel, I would be happy to give
you more information about it.

Patricia A. Burak, Director
Office of International Services
Syracuse University